I don’t know about you, but in our family our puppies are treated like any children would be, and birthdays are no exception. They get gifts, we sing “Happy Birthday”, and of course… Pupcakes! So, in honor of my little one’s 4th birthday, I’m going to share with you my Apple Peanut Butter Pupcake recipe! It took a few years of trying different recipes and experimenting with different dog safe ingredients, but this year I finally nailed it! The perfect all-natural pupcakes. My Newfoundland Emery loved them, which was no surprise, but when even my picky little Peek-a-poo Sophie gobbled it down in about 3 minutes, I knew this recipe was a keeper!
apples & peanut butter
I love a good snack of apples dipped in peanut butter. And whenever I’m enjoying my own healthy snack, my pups are always looking at me wth those sad puppy eyes that are impossible to resist. So I share. Not only do they LOVE it, but apples and peanut butter are also crazy good for their health! Apples are an excellent source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C, making them so much better than some of those treats you can purchase out there! And peanut butter is a great way to add proteins, fiber, and healthy fats into your fur baby’s diet! Make sure to get a peanut butter where PEANUTS are the only ingredient though, as too much added sugar isn’t good for their little bodies!
coconut oil & honey
Coconut oil! We all love it right?? Did you know that it’s also a GREAT addition to your pup’s diet?? Not only does it help keep their coat soft and shiny, but it also improves digestion, elevates the metabolism, boosts their immune system, and reduces allergic reactions! Honey is another extremely nutritious ingredient you should be adding into your dog’s diet (and your own, too!)! It provides tons of nutrients, including vitamins A, B complex, C, D, E, K, calcium, magnesium, and so much more! It also helps fight allergies and infections, and can help with some digestive issues! We prefer to get local honey from our farmer’s market as it is helpful in lowering seasonal allergies in ourselves as well!
So as you can see, while these are a “treat” for your puppy, they’re also extremely nutritious and helpful to his or her health!
what you’ll need
- 6 cup muffin tin
- 6 cupcake liners
- 2 bowls
- an oven
- mixing utensils
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Chopped Apples (chopped into the tiniest chunks you can chop)
- Dog Bone Treat – we like these by Good Dog as they are 100% natural! (Our dogs love the Blueberry Cobbler and Peanut Butter & Jelly flavors!)
- 4oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup All Natural Peanut Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line your muffin tin.
- Whisk together Whole Wheat Flour & Baking Soda until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix Peanut Butter & Coconut Oil until smooth.
- Add in Honey, Egg, and Apples & mix until smooth.
- Combine the two mixtures and mix well.
- Distribute into the 6 tins, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Mix together Cream Cheese and Peanut Butter for icing. (I melt the cream cheese for 10-15 seconds to soften it enough to mix easily!) Mix until smooth. (If it isn’t getting smooth enough, add a little peanut butter!)
- Once Pupcakes are cool, spread or pipe the icing on top!
- Place your Good Dog treat on top!
*If you are planning to make these for your pup more than once in a while, I would recommend leaving off the icing! Too much dairy can upset their little tummies!
Naturally, The Taylors